You should know that you will meet many people who will purport to be your friend for precisely as long as it is to their advantage. The moment you do something they don’t like, they will disappear. They were never a friend. True friendship weathers disagreement.
I don’t want to alarm you, but Hollywood is divided over the friendship shared by Ellen DeGeneres and George W. Bush. I know, you too might well be as scandalized by this news as anybody else with nothing to worry about. You too might be thinking, “If Ellen is going to hang around the W., she can’t be a lesbian any more! We can’t have Ellen befriending a Bush…or at least not that Bush. We’re simply not going to watch her TV show any more, and we are going to have to find a new token favorite lesbian. We might even have to go back to Rosie O’Donnell! These are desperate times, indeed.
Here’s the problem: That attitude is everything that is wrong with America today.
Let’s just run down the top several problems:
- You don’t get to choose anyone else’s friends, period.
- It is good, even a desirable thing, to have friends of different political views.
- Some are saying George W. Bush is a war criminal. That’s irrelevant (see #1, above) and also simply not true. It’s your opinion. No court has convicted him, and even if it had, he still gets to have friends.
- Nobody has appointed any of us the friendship police.
- The LGBT community has been far too oppressed to go about oppressing itself, but as groups begin emerging from under oppression they almost always go about looking for others to oppress. Just stop, now.
- In America, we are free to believe what we will and to associate with whom we will. You don’t have to like it, but it is the way things are. You can’t choose freedom when it suits you and try to eliminate it when it makes you uncomfortable.
- We are more divided than ever before in our history. This kind of nonsense makes it worse, not better.
In other words, check yourselves and your behavior. You are being a huge collection of asses.